Writers & Illustrators of the Future Blog

The purpose of this blog is to provide a forum for winners, judges, entrants and anyone interested in sharing information regarding the contests and the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future volumes. For more information you can also go to www.writersofthefuture.com

Monday, September 21, 2009

Great News from Volume XXIII Winner Aliette de Bodard!

Hi Joni,

This is just to let you and the other WOTF folks know that I've sold three books to new HarperCollins imprint Angry Robot. The books are fantasy-mysteries set in Aztec times: the first one "Servant of the Underworld", will be released in Spring 2010.
The novels are based on my WOTF-winning story "Obsidian Shards", which appeared in volume XXIII: it was at the workshop that I first had the idea to turn it into a novel (based on enthusiastic feedback from a number of my fellow WOTF winners). I also made use of a lot of techniques I learnt at the workshop while I was writing this novel. Thanks again for the awesome experience!

In other news, I didn't win the Campbell Award, but I did take second place, and Tony Pi ended up in third place, so it wasn't such a bad showing.

1 Comments:

  • At September 25, 2009 at 2:49 AM , Anonymous Nile said...

    Even though you did not win the Campbell Award for first place, congrats on the achievements. It has been a decade since I got into competitions for my literature. These days I am a fanfiction maniac in between everything I have to do. I always say I should buckle down and finish my novels. I have 3 sitting and between 50-80K in word count.

    Anyway, it is great to see others go far with their writing. Again, congratulations.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home