Writers & Illustrators of the Future Blog

The purpose of this blog is to provide a forum for winners, judges, entrants and anyone interested in sharing information regarding the contests and the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future volumes. For more information you can also go to www.writersofthefuture.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

More Ad Astra News

MIKE RIMAR (WOTF 21) WROTE IN WITH THIS NEWS...

Below photo: Jim C. Hines (WOTF 15), Robert Sawyer (contest judge), James Alan Gardner (WOTF 6), Toni Pi (WOTF 23) and Mike Rimar (WOTF 21).



Below photo: Toni Pi, Mike Rimar and Stephen Kotowych



Well, I've finished my very first convention as a panelist and I have to say, I like sitting on this side of the table. Where else will I get to sit with GoH Cory Doctorow, as I did Friday night, and have him listen as if I knew what I are talking about--which I did of course, ahem.

That panel had me extremely nervous, but the one I should have really worried about was the Girl Ghosts panel. Only about five people showed up in the audience and it was evident that everyone knew more about the subject than me. In my defense, I did not know I would be on the panel till Friday night when I picked up my badge.

Oh well, live and learn.

Sunday was the best of the three days for me. I attended a panel on editing where I always learn at least something new. This time I learned to write sign like this:

NO TRESPASSING

Not sure about the punctuation though. Hmmm.

Anyway, after that I was on the Writers of the Future panel and that was just loads of fun. Past Winner Alan James Gardner moderated. Robert Sawyer, who is a judge, also attended, as well as Jim C. Hines, another past winner. This year's winners Steve Kotowych and Tony Pi rounded out the cast of characters. We had a good crowd and most seemed genuinely interested in the contest.

After that was an anthology book launch by Canadian author Julie Czerneda where Tony PI and I won prizes of many books. Very cool.

After that was my final panel on magazines vs. anthologies which went very well.

I had a great time, and now I had better get something published so I have a reason to go next year.

Mike

AND THIS JUST IN FROM APEX MAGAZINE

Hey John, you'd ask me to keep you in the loop when we publish WotF winners...
Apex #9 was released and it features two past winners, Geoffrey Girard and Katherine Howestine.
We also just announced a novella titled Temple: Incarnations from past winner Steven Savile.
Thx!
Jason Sizemore


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home