The Top Five Disqualification Points During the First Reading
Last week I asked you all for questions regarding the contest. This is the answer to the last question, which will be very helpful to all of you. If you haven't visited the blog recently you should not only read this page but several days prior as there have been writing tips and information that will help you as a contestant.
K.D. Wentworth, our coordinating judge, has provided below, the top 5 disqualification points during that first read. They are:
1. Poor spelling and copious grammatical errors
2. No sign that this is a science fiction or fantasy story by the end of
the first page
3. Inability to tell what's going on by the end of the first page because
the writer is withholding critical information from the reader in order
to create suspense.
4. Overused tropes such as vampires, elves, witches, ghosts, trolls, dwarves
and dragons, without an original take on the subject.
5. Massive information dumps at the very beginning of the story where the
writer is telling the reader background information instead of working
it into the story.